Calling all Graduate Students at Ontario Colleges and Universities
Sustainable Buildings Canada (SBC) advances the environmental performance of buildings and communities through advocacy, training and research. One way SBC does this is by holding a yearly Green Building Festival (GBF), now in its 14th year. This year, we are adding a new component to the festival: an academic poster challenge!
NEW! Green Building Festival 2019 Student Poster Competition
This year’s Green Building Festival theme looks at both simple and complex solutions to inspire the building community to reach the goal of zero carbon: How do we get to zero carbon buildings?
Does your research address ways of building more sustainably in either simple or complex ways?
If your answer is YES – we want to hear from you!
Students are invited to submit their proposed poster mock-up, abstract and research approach for a chance to win student passes and a poster presentation at the annual Green Building Festival in Toronto on October 8 2019.
You’ll have the incredible opportunity to display your poster to an audience of 350+ professionals working in the sustainable building sector at the 2019 Green Building Festival, taking place October 8 2019 at the Marriott Toronto Downtown hotel!
WHO CAN PARTICIPATE?
Individual students or student teams from accredited graduate programs at Ontario colleges and universities.
WHAT IS THE SUBMISSION CRITERIA?
A poster describing research projects that take a simple or a complex approach or perspective to addressing sustainability in the built or urban environment. Posters visually summarize and share information and/or research concisely and attractively, usually a mixture of brief text mixed with tables, graphs, pictures, and other presentation formats.
Entries will be evaluated on 5 criteria:
- Relevance to the conference topic
- Depth of content
- Content knowledge and organization
- Introduction and abstract
- Poster design
Students will be evaluated on the submission of a to-scale draft poster (submitted electronically either in .pptx or pdf) and winning entries will be expected to be displayed in full size 24″ x 36″ or 36″ x 24″ (suggested / minimum size) on the day of the conference.
Access the evaluation scorecard here.
WHAT IS THE PRIZE?
Winning posters will earn:
- An invitation to display your research project in full size poster format on Oct 8th at the Green Building Festival. The organizers will display your poster in a prominent Festival location during daytime programming.
- Up to 5 student passes (team members only) to the Oct 9th Green Building Festival in Toronto. This includes a full day of expert presentations, daytime meals and breaks, and networking opportunities with hundreds of green building professionals.
- Opportunity to participate in poster Q&A session during Festival Reception from 5 – 7 pm.
- Your project could be listed in a Sustainable Buildings Canada LinkedIn article supporting the poster session and winning team(s).
August 1: Deadline for submission including project abstract, research approach, academic supervisor sign-off and to-scale poster mock-up (pptx or pdf)
August 15: SBC announcement of opportunities to present
September 15: Deadline for final draft poster design
October 1: Deadline for final full-scale poster to festival organizers
October 8: Green Building Festival date (www.GBF19.com)
Access the form here
Additional competition details:
- Up to 10 qualifying posters will be selected for the opportunity to win.
- At the Festival, the researcher / research team are invited to stand by the poster display during networking breaks so Festival participants and delegates can view the presentation and interact with the author(s).
- Teams may be invited to prepare a short (3 – 5 minute) presentation about their research project and poster.
- SBC reserves the right to withdraw the opportunity to present at the Poster Session if deadlines are not met and/or the content, context or quality of the poster elements do not match the project overview information or expectations.
- No costs, travel or accommodation funds or monetary prizing are available to contest applicants or winners.